Adventures in Screenwriting: Vol. 1

Hey guys! I hope you've been having better luck with your internet connection than I have. Seriously, this is my third time attempting this blog post. Still you know what they say right? Third time's the charm!

Today's blog post is the first entry in my Adventures in Screenwriting series. Before we get into the bulk of the post I first wanted to tell you guys about my screenwriting challenge for 2016. The challenge is called #oneyearscreenplay and is fairly straight forward. By December 31st I want to be typing 'The End' at the conclusion of my first feature length screenplay. Well, the first draft anyway. Could be kind of difficult what with uni and my novel writing but I reckon I can make it work.

Whew, now that's over we can get started on the fun stuff. Screenwriting. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know everything there is to know about screenwriting. In fact it's just the opposite. I know barely anything about it. That doesn't mean I'm not going to try my hardest to get better, and the best way to do that is to practice and practice.

About a week ago I was heavily invested in my novel planning until I hit a brick wall. So instead I decided to focus on a new screenplay that had wormed it's way into my brain. The skeleton plot outline was originally about a girl who was unable to fall in love and so attends a therapy session in order to determine why that is. This has since expanded to include other characters and other stories.

I was once told by someone that you need to write what you know. I'm not sure why but I've always taken that to heart and now everything I write has an element of real life involved. Take this screenplay for example. The girl is based on someone I know and care a lot about. But how much can you really base on real life before it becomes more of a documentary than a work of fiction?

I guess the real answer is no one knows. It's completely up to your own personal preference, but the question you need to ask yourself is how much do you need to put into the story. Remember, you're telling a fictional story with fictional characters. Just because the themes and ideas you may be using are very real doesn't mean you need to base your characters completely on people you know.

Well I have no idea if this blog post is actually going to help anyone but I hope that someone out there reads this and really takes it to heart. Take it from someone who has made the mistake of pouring their heart and soul into a character only to then realise you can't tell them from yourself anymore. Some people won't like it.

But that's just it isn't it? Some people are not going to like your work. And that's okay. Don't throw it away simply because one person has told you they don't like it. Go back and try again.

That's it from me for now since it's currently 11:20pm and I'm exhausted. Keep watching this blog for a new Adventures in Screenwriting post coming soon. Until then,

Stay random!
~ Jenna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 'Pete Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2

Flashback Friday: Descendants - Movie Review

Top 5 'Karen Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2