Confessions Of An Aspiring Author: Vol. 2

Not going to lie to you, sitting down to write this blog was a real challenge. I returned home from Melbourne yesterday evening to find my room looking like a bomb site so naturally when I got up this morning I had to clean it immediately. Add that to my long list of shows to watch (The 100, Legends of Tomorrow, Grease: Live!) and I find myself finally sitting down to write this entry at 9:50pm. Still, at least it's still Friday right?

Once I sat down to write I found myself facing another dilemma. What exactly was I going to make the second entry of Confessions Of An Aspiring Author all about? A few different things ran through my mind such as making visual diagrams of your fantasy world, lots of planning vs. not a lot of planning and the importance of writing constantly, but ultimately I've decided to go with something else entirely.

As I said earlier, yesterday I returned home from Melbourne (I swear I don't live there) and as a result I found myself with quite a lot of time on my hands. My friend and I arrived relatively early to Melbourne Airport, and once I returned home I had to wait two hours in the airport for my Mum to come and pick me up. Needless to say I had a lot of time to write.

I think all up yesterday I had about five hours of prime novel planning time, and let me tell you I put it to good use. I now have a pretty decent idea of the main plot points and storylines of my story, as well as a few key individual character arcs worked out. I found that a change of scenery was exactly what I needed to really get the planning going since previously I'd been in a bit of a slump. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the plot to gel together, but as soon as I changed it up a bit and decided to take a peek at my planning at the gate waiting for my plane I found that the plot began to write itself.

If you're ever in a bit of a writing slump, whether it be writing your fictional work, an essay for school or uni, or whether you just need to plan what it is you'll be writing later, try changing your surroundings and see if it makes a difference. Go to the park or to a cafe, or if you're stuck at home try writing outside or in a different room and see if that helps. It may not help for everyone but it definitely helped me to the point where I'm almost ready to start writing the first draft of my novel.

Let me know in the comments where your favourite place to write is. Mine is anywhere that isn't my bedroom. I don't know why, but I just can't write in the same room where I sleep.

Stay random!
~ Jenna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 'Pete Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2

Flashback Friday: Descendants - Movie Review

Top 5 'Karen Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2